cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
New

"Domain buy service" needs clearer messaging

Like the other people, I also feel ripped off by godaddy for not realizing the "Domain Buy Service" is actually a "Domain Bidding Service".   Here's what the purchaser sees from beginning to end.  The only warning was the small print on the 2nd page beneath "How does this work?".  Clearly, it needs to be more clear that you are not purchasing the domain.  I'll be transferring all my domains because they refused a refund despite not having provided any service.   After they refused a refund, I offered a bid.

Landing page:

godaddy1.jpg

Second page:

godaddy2.jpg

3rd page, checkout:

godaddy3.com.jpg

17 REPLIES 17
Super User III
Super User III

Re: "Domain buy service" needs clearer messaging

@zawy 

I understand the frustration, but this is exactly why it's important to make informed buying decisions and read the fine print. GoDaddy isn't hiding anything about the way the service works. Every complaint I've seen about this service is literally because the customer didn't read the fine print and inform themselves. 

I get it, though. You feel like you were ripped off. I have felt this pain before myself, sometimes even with GoDaddy, but in the end I realized it was my lack of understanding that was the issue. 

I will say I agree with you that it would be nice for GoDaddy to make it a little more apparent what the Domain Buy Service does because this has been a common complaint. All it would really take is a notice in big letters on the service page.

Sorry you had a bad experience.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I drink and I know things. Especially about websites and web hosting.
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

I had the same issue. Shame on you GoDaddy, there are no excuses. 

@ zawy , After calling the customer service they understood the situation without too many questions and refunded the purchasing straight away! After how long did you call ? 

New

I didn't realize what had happened until I believe 2 days later. I didn't try calling due to people saying calling GoDaddy does not help.  I opened a dispute with PayPal with a description of the complaint and PayPal said GoDaddy refused to refund, despite not having taken any steps to start the "service" other than an email I had not clicked on.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @zawy - Generally speaking, the Domain Buy Service can be refunded if you haven't set your minimum and maximum amount you're willing to spend within your account. Simply clicking an email wouldn't do this. If you haven't set those, I'd recommend connecting with support to request a refund. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
New

That's not true because, as I said, I did not click on anything and they refused to give a PayPal refund.  But later I did make an offer, so I assume contacting support now may not help  By the way, the response to my offer was "this domain is not for sale" which is not exactly what people expect even if they meant to use the service.  It's not even a "bidding" service  because you're charging without knowing if the domain is potentially for sale.

Community Manager
Community Manager

@zawy - It sounds like you may have received some incorrect information. I'd suggest reaching out to our support team and speaking with a supervisor. If you were not advised correctly, you may be eligible for a refund. However, that's not something that can be investigated or confirmed here on the community forum. Sorry Man Sad

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
New

I don't understand what incorrect information you're referring to.  GoDaddy charge $70 for a "domain buy service" that mentions in the small print on the "add to cart" page (but not the checkout page) that it is not actually a domain buy service .  GoDaddy refused to give a refund when I found out it does not buy the domain.   GoDaddy does not know if domains are for sell when it charges the "non-refundable" $70.

Community Manager
Community Manager

@zawy - From what you said earlier, it sounds like you initially reached out to support to ask for a refund and were told this was not possible. After that, you set the minimum and maximum bid. If you were told that we can't refund the service BEFORE you set the minimum and maximum price, that information was incorrect. The service is refundable until those values are set. 

New

As I said before, I asked GoDaddy for a refund by by opening a PayPal dispute. They refused via PayPal.  So you're saying GoDaddy made a mistake in telling me I was not able to get a refund. 

New

I called support and Kim (a guy) said I would not get a refund because I made the request through PayPal instead of calling.   I said I didn't like being blamed for the $70 loss and he said this is not blaming me, which I think is a position that requires very twisted reasoning just so that they can say "We are not blaming you."   He also claimed the description of the service  is in small print (see images above).     It reminds me of  "GoDaddy gives a refund if you request a refund before using the service"  which is not true if you request a refund through PayPal.  He said "you did not contact us, it was PayPal that contacted us."  Again, I believe that's a position that requires very twisted reasoning.  I sell things via PayPal. I see messages customers type when they open a dispute and I address those concerns.   

Deny, deny, deny. 

GoDaddy denies "Buy" Service is misleading

GoDaddy denies the warning / explanation is in small print.

GoDaddy denies they refuse refunds if the service was not used.

GoDaddy denies opening a PayPal dispute with a message field is contacting GoDaddy.

GoDaddy denies that refusing a PayPal refund is the same as refusing a refund.

GoDaddy denies they are blaming you when they blame you for losing $70.

I wanted to give direct quotes from GoDaddy support for the above via the app on my phone that automatically records phone calls, but somehow the GoDaddy support person's responses were being blocked from getting recorded.  Just my voice can be heard.  So they can record us, but we can't record them.  Given the above persistent denial behavior, I am not surprised.  

Community Manager
Community Manager

@zawy I see where the confusion came from now. Disputing a payment is not the same as requesting a refund. Per our refund policy, you would need to contact support to request a refund. 

New

Do you deny the "Buy Service" name is misleading?  Do you deny the description of it needs to be above the add to cart button instead of below it? And preferably in larger print?  Do you deny customer support should attempt to resolve PayPal disputes?  Do you deny I was unfairly charged $70?  Do you deny that GoDaddy should let its employees be recorded while they are recording customers?

Community Manager
Community Manager
Solution

@zawy - I'll try to answer your questions.

I would say that the Domain Buy Service name has caused for confusion for some customers, but it's definitely not intentionally misleading. As for where the description should be or what size it should be, I'm not a designer and I can't really speak to that. As I've said, I think it's good feedback and will pass the idea along.

As for our refund policy and process, that is also not something I can speak to other than to tell you that we have the information listed on our website as I mentioned. Though I will also pass that feedback along appropriately.

From what you've described, I don't think you were unfairly charged. As you've shared above, the information on what the service does is included in our checkout process. We do have a process to refund the service if it isn't what you want. After entering the minimum and maximum bid, our Domain Buy Service team performed their duties as outlined by our Domain Buy Service agreement

As for recording our agents, I've never heard of the scenario you've described occurring before. Conversely, I have heard recordings that customers have made of our agents. I'm not sure why that happened for you. 

Hi,

I’d like to sell you a “Home buying service”. Just pay $60 and I’ll buy you any home of your choice worldwide! (Plus 20% commission)

Just tell me what you want to let, and I’ll take care of everything else.

I’ll send an automated email to the owner, that I find publicly listed. After that, the house is practically yours.

1. There’s no buying power here. Domain Buy is just a great SEO term.
2. The service should be called “Automated email nagging service asking the domain contact (NOT OWNER) if they want to sell”

3. Maybe “Domain Negotiation Service” is closer
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the feedback @User837932. We're actually looking at updating the name to be more in line with what the service does. To clarify, none of the contact methods we use when reaching out to domain owners are automated. 

Community Manager
Community Manager
Solution

Hey Everyone. Just wanted to update here to let you know that we've now updated the name of Domain Buy Service to Domain Broker Service. This is more in line with what the service does and will hopefully help prevent future confusion. Thanks again for all the feedback.