cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

Moving website and domain to Bluehost

Hi, what are your experience with moving your website to Bluehost?

After a big blunder (our developper bought the wrong package, Deluxe Wordpress, which is not what we needed: beside costing 217EURO and us being a charity... The only option GODADDY offered was to buy an extra email access for 72 EURO the first year. Where it is all inclusive with bluehost.

My question: we purchased the domain in october: if we move now, will we have to renew in october or when we move?

We are trying to minimise the costs related to this mess as we are a charity: GoDaddy is the biggest expense right now as even our accountant is volunteering! 

Thanks for your help.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III
Solution

Re: Moving TO Bluehost

@vreinhold 

I'm going to answer your question with a couple of different pieces and give you some options....

1) Deluxe WordPress vs Bluehost - The WordPress offering from GoDaddy is a Managed platform meaning you don't have to worry about the server - it also has Backup / CDN and SSL built into it - whereas Bluehost (typically) is a cPanel / shared server - and while there maybe a different in cost - it is a different platform.

2) You mentioned that you are a charity - before moving everything around - I would recommend Google for Non-Profits https://support.google.com/nonprofits/answer/3215869 which is free in 50+ countries.

3) If you do end up needing to move to Bluehost (which I don't recommend Bluehost for a number of reasons) you could keep the domain at GoDaddy and just point the DNS to Bluehost

4) If you wanted to transfer the domain to Bluehost to keep everything together - you would purchase a transfer (which should extend the registration by 1 year) at Bluehost

I just wanted to make sure you had all the options available to make an informed choice.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Employee
Employee
Solution

Re: Moving website and domain to Bluehost

Hi @vreinhold,

Welcome to the Community!

The registration date of the domain (in October) will always be the renewal date. When you purchase the domain transfer at Bluehost, it should add another year to the term of you domain. So if your domain at GoDaddy expires in October 2020, after transfer, it will expire in October 2021. 

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III
Solution

Re: Moving TO Bluehost

@vreinhold 

I'm going to answer your question with a couple of different pieces and give you some options....

1) Deluxe WordPress vs Bluehost - The WordPress offering from GoDaddy is a Managed platform meaning you don't have to worry about the server - it also has Backup / CDN and SSL built into it - whereas Bluehost (typically) is a cPanel / shared server - and while there maybe a different in cost - it is a different platform.

2) You mentioned that you are a charity - before moving everything around - I would recommend Google for Non-Profits https://support.google.com/nonprofits/answer/3215869 which is free in 50+ countries.

3) If you do end up needing to move to Bluehost (which I don't recommend Bluehost for a number of reasons) you could keep the domain at GoDaddy and just point the DNS to Bluehost

4) If you wanted to transfer the domain to Bluehost to keep everything together - you would purchase a transfer (which should extend the registration by 1 year) at Bluehost

I just wanted to make sure you had all the options available to make an informed choice.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Highlighted
Employee
Employee
Solution

Re: Moving website and domain to Bluehost

Hi @vreinhold,

Welcome to the Community!

The registration date of the domain (in October) will always be the renewal date. When you purchase the domain transfer at Bluehost, it should add another year to the term of you domain. So if your domain at GoDaddy expires in October 2020, after transfer, it will expire in October 2021. 

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support