cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    Mark2090
    Getting Started

Cannot set "Coming Soon Page" as the Home Page as Test

First to say, that I am in testing mode with the standard (or basic??) GoDaddy Website Builder, so it is not published and not yet purchased. I am testing the builder to see if it fits my website goals.

That said, the issue is that I cannot set the "Coming Soon" page as the default page or home page and hide all other pages.

It appears the test-mode builder won't allow it at all because the settings icon does not provide any settings to unlock the home page so I can make the Coming Soon page the default home page.

Question

Is there a way to resolve this issue - or - is it this way only because it is in testing mode and I have to purchase a package to unlock many features?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Mark2090,

The Websites +Marketing page was designed for folks without lots of experience in designing websites. So it was created to make it as easy as possible to get a great-looking page online quickly. The home page was designed to look differently than the rest of the website - More of a featured "splash" with the option for a variety of headers. Very few of our customers are going with "Coming Soon" pages, opting to create an introductory homepage and publishing when ready. Moving sections is not difficult and the result is instant, with changes that will show up immediately online when you publish. 

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
    Supporting you at godaddy.com/help/contact-us

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
    TLH

Hi @Mark2090,

Welcome to the Community!

There is only one Home page to the builder, and you can't choose it out of the other created pages. It is automatically set as your first page. You can then create your other pages, opting to keep them out of the home page navigation, or make them as private pages.

If this "Coming Soon" home page will eventually be replaced by another, finished page, you can choose to move the sections from that page (say you had named it Future Home) to the home page. Then you can delete the "coming soon" elements, replacing them with the other sections. When you're satisfied with the Home Page appearance, you can delete the "Future Home" page you copied from and update the navigational elements. 

Mark2090
    Getting Started

Thanks for the reply.

From what you said, it seems that the "Home Page" in the GoDaddy website builder is fixed and cannot move it or replace it. Only the content is changeable.

...except for the header-banner section area.

In the demo, the header-banner, which had an image, and some elements layered on top (text and a button). I could change the content of that section, but could not replace that section. This says GoDaddy restricted the design and layout of the website this way, which is not good.

The moving of sections between pages, your link: "move the sections", is a good thing. That was useful.

Overall, with the help of your reply, I see following, per the Demo:

• Home page is fixed, it is not moveable or replaceable with another page. In other words, another page cannot be set as the home page to remove the one created by GoDaddy.
    • The menu can be hidden, which is good, by setting other pages as hidden in page settings. That seems to remove the home page link in the menu.
    • This page builder design, in regards to a "Coming Soon" page forces the user to double the work. This means the user has to modify the fixed home page into a "Coming Soon" content, then create other pages, including a second "Home page", as a temporary holding page to create home page content. When that is finished, use the "move the sections" method to move sections and content from the temp home to the "Coming Soon" page, then finalize the header content on the fixed home page (image or whatever), then save and publish.
    • ~ which is a lot of work just for the home page, when GoDaddy could of provided a better way to create a "Coming Soon" page to allow us to make it the home page, then switch that with the new home page by changing it in page settings (like Wix).

If I am incorrect in any of the above, please provide a correction.

Appreciate your help, thanks.

Hi @Mark2090,

The Websites +Marketing page was designed for folks without lots of experience in designing websites. So it was created to make it as easy as possible to get a great-looking page online quickly. The home page was designed to look differently than the rest of the website - More of a featured "splash" with the option for a variety of headers. Very few of our customers are going with "Coming Soon" pages, opting to create an introductory homepage and publishing when ready. Moving sections is not difficult and the result is instant, with changes that will show up immediately online when you publish. 

View solution in original post

Mark2090
    Getting Started

@TLH wrote:

Hi @Mark2090,

The Websites +Marketing page was designed for folks without lots of experience in designing websites. So it was created to make it as easy as possible to get a great-looking page online quickly.

Thanks for the reply.
    What you said is the deciding point. For requests to create a business website that is more functional, the GoDaddy Websites+Marketing Page builder is not workable because it is too restrictive.

Great looking is a relative term, and relative in terms of needed functionality and design. For a basic look (and as you said), GoDaddy Websites+Marketing provides the basic block layout. It is a DIY website and nothing more. I worked WIX and Weebly and tried Squarespace, so I speak from experience.

I am not trying to lessen GoDaddy's Websites+Marketing website builder, I am just elaborating on its use since others who research this website builder should know its limitations, to be fair to them. As said, it is basic & limited, nothing more. Unfortunately, it is not compatible to a more developed business site that requires more functionality and editability.

Thanks for your help.