cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
New

Forward email to mailbox.org problems - DNS zonefile not propagating?

Hi all, I've got a GoDaddy domain, and a Mailbox.org account, and I need to set up the DNS zonefile for my GoDaddy domain to forward emails to Mailbox.org, I've followed the instructions on Mailbox.org's website and done them in my domain control panel, but it doesn't seem to be working.  I used domain zone checkers for example MX Toolbox, Network Tools, etc., they all show no MX records or any entries I've made, the DNS nameservers are correct, and the DNS tools all download from the correct nameservers.  It looks like the changes I've put in the DNS zonefile isn't being used.  I believe I've enabled the domain, so what do I need to do to make it work?

Many thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Community Manager
Community Manager
Solution

Re: Forward email to mailbox.org problems - DNS zonefile not propagating?

Hi @Eddles. Thanks for being part of GoDaddy Community! Usually where you're not able to see the DNS records for a domain when doing a lookup, it means either the domain is directed to nameservers that don't have the domain's zone file on them or there's a problem with the zone file itself. I'd recommend double checking with your DNS provider to make sure you're pointing to the right nameservers. If they are, then they can also look at the domain's zone file to make sure it's working as it should be. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
New

Thanks for your response!

I'm sorry for confusion - I'm using GoDaddy's own DNS servers.  What I'm trying to say is that when I use a DNS lookup tool, it finds my domain and gets the zonefile just fine, however the changes I've put in my GoDaddy's settings page does not get sent out if that makes sense.  For example, with mailbox.org, their help file says that I need to put in MX servers as follows:

example.net. IN MX 10 mxext1.mailbox.org.
example.net. IN MX 10 mxext2.mailbox.org. 
example.net. IN MX 20 mxext3.mailbox.org.

Obviously, I use my GoDaddy domain in place of example.net.  OK, so I go to my GoDaddy control panel, click on "DNS" next to my domain, and then add in 3 MX fields as follows:

mxexample.netmxext1.mailbox.org (Priority: 10)1 HourEdit
mxexample.netmxext2.mailbox.org (Priority: 20)1 HourEdit
mxexample.netmxext3.mailbox.org (Priority: 30)1 HourEdit

OK so far.  So I click on "Export zone file (Unix)" to double check....

; MX Records
example.net 3600 IN MX 10 mxext1.mailbox.org.
example.net 3600 IN MX 20 mxext2.mailbox.org.
example.net 3600 IN MX 30 mxext3.mailbox.org.

Super!  All looks good!

So I use an online domain checker and it returns...

MX 2 ms
No record found

Rats.  I double check the nameservers in my GoDaddy control panel:

Nameservers

Last updated 16/01/2019 21:42
Using default nameservers
Nameserver
ns13.domaincontrol.com
ns14.domaincontrol.com

And I now check the DNS checker tool I mentioned before, where it got my MX records from...

ns13.domaincontrol.com.

Unfortunately correct.

See my problem?  The changes I put in my GoDaddy's control panel does not get sent out to other nameservers.

How do I fix this issue please?

Many thanks!

Community Manager
Community Manager

@Eddles It seems as though you've done everything correctly, though it's not possible to double check without your domain name Man Happy As I said before if you're sure your DNS settings are right but they're not appearing online, you'll need to check with your provider (in this case GoDaddy) to make sure there are no problems with the domain's zone file. Please keep in mind that this is a community forum rather than a support form. Users here do not have access to internal GoDaddy systems and generally aren't able to assist with account specific issues. You'll probably need to contact our customer care team to sort this one out. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.