Skip to main content
Help Center
The GoDaddy Community will undergo maintenance starting on Tuesday, August 3rd at 3pm PST / 6pm EST. Learn more
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Andy
Community Manager

What tools/apps do you swear by?

Everyone has their own way of working. Processes are part of that (e.g. onboarding clients or invoicing for projects), but just as important are the tools that we use.

So, my dear Pro compadres - what's in your toolbox?

Here's my setup:

• Hardware: Windows 10 on ASUS UX305CA (personal), switching to MacBook Air sometime soon
  • Mobile: iPhone 5S (old school, I know)
  • Browser of choice: Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge
  • Hosting:  GoDaddy Managed WordPress or Cloud (depending on the project)
  • Editor:  Atom from GitHub
  • Task runner:  Koala (even though I should probably use Grunt or Gulp by now)
  • Git:  Bitbucket (yay free private repos!) and SourceTree from Atlassian
  • SFTP:  Filezilla
  • CRM: Google Sheets (seriously), though Batchbook caught my attention lately
  • Documents/file storage: Google Drive
  • Invoicing: Wave Accounting (my pre-GD days, haven't done invoicing in a long while)

Your turn! What's your setup?

Senior Community Manager, GoDaddy
Need help with your GoDaddy.com account? Get 24/7 support at x.co/247support
Find inspiration on the GoDaddy Blog
Smash that Like button on GoDaddy's YouTube channel
Follow @GoDaddy on Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn
11 REPLIES 11
rd
Super User I Super User I
Super User I

Fun game @Andy

Let me see...

• Hardware: Windows 10 (mainly because I come from a corporate background and I'm not switching now)
    • Monitor: BenQ PG2401PT (multiple monitor setup otherwise)
    • Laptop: Microsoft Surface Pro 4, ASUS G751JT
    • Other: Microsoft Arc Touch, Razer Naga ChromaWacom Cintiq 24HD, Canon EOS 1DX, Sony a7R II, Samsung Galaxy Note 8
    • Mobile: No phone for me but when we do social media for clients we always order BLU phones
  • Browser of choice: Google Chrome, second choice Google Chrome and then Firefox
  • Hosting: My hosting company, my GoDaddy Reseller, one of my sub-resellers and GoDaddy
  • Editor: UltraEdit or Notepad in a pinch
  • Task runner: Grunt but no real preference here
  • Git: Helix
  • SFTP: Filezilla for files UltraEdit for edits
  • CRM/PM: Projectfork Pro
  • Documents/file storage: OwnCloud
  • Invoicing: QuickBooks but Sprout Invoices if my website was running WordPress
  • E-signature: CudaSign, Echosign or WP-esignature if my website was running WordPress

One other thing that I feel essential in my day-to-day is my height adjustable desk (sit/stand desk) and fitness monitor. I feel like it is sometimes so easy to just code and snack all day. My latest fitness tracker is a Shine 2 and it's not the best or most accurate one I have ever had but with a six (6) month battery life it is the most convenient in my day to day life.

Who is next?

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

Alex-NewPath
Helper IV

My personal toolset used to include a Dell Studio XPS 13, but I spilled coffee on the keyboard and my 7 year old laptop bit the big one and died. So now I have a Latitude 7000 which I am pretty happy with. I particularly like the docking capability which my Studio did not have.

In terms of cloud tools we have a preferred set listed on our website.

WordPress WordPress for everything web publishing
Wild ApricotWildApricot for membership based sited
Formstack Lead Generation FormsFor all sorts of business automation through forms
Mad Mimi Email MarketingEmail Marketing

Google AnalyticsCan't do without this one
FreshBooksInvoicing and billing made easy
Highrise CRM
A really easy to learn and powerful CRM system with email integration

Alex Sirota, PMP - NewPath Consulting - Schedule some time with Alex
"At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I love the idea of that page for your customers @Alex-NewPath. If I wasn't so lazy with doing my own website I'd borrow that. Great job!

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

It's more than just listing our tools though @rd - it's a vendor relationship we have made with the products and recommend those as best practice for our customers. We become experts in them for our own business and resell services with those products to our customers. Every once in a while we pick new products to use internally first, and then add them to our "services" list.

Thanks for the kudos!

"At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Andy
Community Manager

We just published a post this week in the Garage about productivity tips for designers and developers. Some interesting recommendations in there, too. Mautic caught my attention. Justin (the author) described it as "an open-source alternative to HubSpot" (marketing automation software).

mathew
New

That is a long list, and I am not sure I could even recall everything I use.

Here are my Top 10 over the past few days:

Visual Studio Pro

SQL Management Studio

FileZilla

BitKinex

NotePad++

Eclipse

Visual Studio Code

Fiddler

Microsoft Network Monitor

nslookup

DameWare remote support

Here's what I have pinned in my browser

Gmail/Google Drive/Calendar  (been using for almost 10 years)

Highrise CRM

TypePad (a very old but easy to use blogging system)

Formstack (amazingly powerful forms builder)

Slack (chat with my team)

Appointlet (really awesome scheduler)

Mad Mimi (email marketing tool now owned by GD)

Signeasy (sign PDFs from your phone)

Google Analytics (if you don't know what this is, go look NOW)

40Nuggets (creating campaigns that target visitors on a website with popup banners)

Zapier (API integration made simple)

Hootsuite (social media monitoring and posting)

AppSheet (a new find to generate data driven mobile apps)

Andy
Community Manager

@Alex-NewPath: Thoughts on IFTTT vs. Zapier? IFTTT seems more forgiving on the API calls.

@mathew: I see a few different editors/IDEs on your list. Why the variety?

On my end: Abandoned the ASUS laptop in favour of a custom-built desktop PC. I do most of my work from home so the mobility wasn't a huge deal. I have a company laptop if I need to be out and about, anyway. 🙂 Still haven't spun up my dev stack on here, though.

@Andy - I have had more success with Zapier and their coverage of various cloud apps. I have used IFTTT and always thought of it as a more light weight solution with less capability, but maybe I am wrong about that?

Zapier does depend on a pretty tight integration so when they do one (like the Google Apps one) there is a lot of functionality you get. To be honest I just have had more experience with Zapier and it's possible IFTTT is better in many use cases. 

But when I want to access Freshbooks for example, IFTTT does not have that support "out of the box" https://ifttt.com/recipes/search?q=freshbooks, whereas Zapier does.

SamHobbs
Helper V

For development I use Visual Studio. For HTML editing I use Microsoft Expression Web 4. For email I use Postbox but since I have many email rules (that automatically moves messages to folders) I don't download messages automatically, I use Esumsoft :: POP Peeper to first see what is coming in. I use http://keepass.info for passwords. I also use IrfanView and VLC and I assume everyone else does.

I use IIS in my local Windows and I have various web pages that I use to get to web sites I use frequently. I don't know of a way to manage bookmarks as conveniently as IE and IE was not the most convenient so since switching from IE to Edge I have been adding bookmarks to a HTML page of links. I intend to write a bookmark management system.

Those are the software I use every day.

2feTch
New

Very good lists! I just want to touch on a few tools I didn't see mentioned...

Text editor- Besides Atom, I have been using Brackets a lot lately. I'm using it on linux mint. It allows me to create a workspace of documents (index.html, main.css) and work on multiple pages whilst still keeping them separate. I'm able to add javascript in the document and then use the live preview feature to see how the animation looks or simply ensure my code is working properly.

Graphics- Adobe Illustrator is very flexible for designing some graphics and icons. However, I find myself constantly reverting to Canva.com. They have a large library of free templates with awesome pictures and cool font types all built right in. I can upload a image, select some font types they have prepackaged together, and in five minutes I have an attractive unique design.

Cloud- I use Box.com for all cloud solutions. It's simple and easy to use. I create folders and share them with clients so they can upload images or content, keeping assets in a central location.

I saw someone mentioned freshbooks for accounting. I've used them in the past and they offered the  best invoicing service hands down.

a WEBTeam Developer™