• VPS & Dedicated Servers

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    Highlighted

Not so happy with support anymore - server down during snapshoots

First you chart, then you talk to a customer support person after a reasonable hold time. Then they connect you to the advanced hosting support. You wait on hold for 30 minutes to talk to someone. That person puts you on hold to talk to an admin. Then you get a bogus answer. Then you explain why the answer makes no sense. They put you on hold again and they agree to put in a ticket number to investigate further. You finally get an unsatisfied email back with the statement "We have decided to no longer offer general email support to ensure the best possible experience for you and our other customers" And you start from square one!

I am sorry after being a customer and referring customers to GoDaddy for over 30 years I want the old customer support email system back. Does GoDaddy believe that their time is more valuable than mine having me on constant loops, hold and repeating myself.

To the subject at hand. I simply believe there is no reason for a service to be down when taking a server snapshot either manual or automatically. In today's age those things can be done without interruptions on the fly. The generation 3 platform never had that issue. The new generation 4 platform does have that issue. During my server snapshot my web-sites and email handling are down for up to 9 minutes. Unacceptable! For now I don't take snapshots. Why does c-panel backups not have the same problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
    Highlighted
    Solution

Re: Not so happy with support anymore - server down during snapshoots

@tswidler - thank you for your feedback and expressing your frustration and concern.  Our current snapshot implementation requires that VM's take a small amount of downtime.  The amount of downtime is directly related to the amount of disk you are consuming...  larger disk consumption equals more downtime.

We are looking into changing this, so as to avoid any server downtime, but it's not an immediate fix.  We do have a couple of options that you might find useful in the mean time:  #1 - you can "reschedule" these snapshots to occur during a time window that is more convenient for you, when perhaps the backup outage is acceptable or #2 - you can disable (we call it "pause") these snapshot backups from occurring.  Both of these options can be done from your server dashboard UI.  Keep in mind that taking the #2 option will limit the restore options available to yourself and to GoDaddy in the event of a hardware failure...  so I only recommend this if you have another method of backing up your server.

There is a 3rd option as @davisdre317 has mentioned:  you can configure cPanel yourself to perform backups to a remote/local destination of your choosing.

Let me know if I can answer more questions and again, thank you for the feedback!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
    Highlighted
    Super User I
    Super User I

Hello @tswidler and thank you for reaching out to the Community.

Sorry to hear you didn't have a good experience this go around. 

I'm curious, are you VPS? or Dedicated? Also, are you self-managed? or Managed? or Fully-Managed?

Note there is a difference between a snapshot and cPanel backup. 

Very Respectfully,

Drew Davis
    Navy Veteran and Entrepreneur | GoDaddy Pro user | "Proud to be serving others!"

*** Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Please feel free to give me KUDOS on this topic/discussion; mark my comment as ACCEPTED SOLUTION if you believe I've helped solved your issue. Thanks! ***
    Highlighted

VPS - Managed.

Highlighted
    Super User I
    Super User I

@tswidler thank you for your reply.

Did you initiate the snapshot or did GoDaddy VPS support initiate the snapshot?

Very Respectfully,

Drew Davis
    Navy Veteran and Entrepreneur | GoDaddy Pro user | "Proud to be serving others!"

*** Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Please feel free to give me KUDOS on this topic/discussion; mark my comment as ACCEPTED SOLUTION if you believe I've helped solved your issue. Thanks! ***
    Highlighted

In my GoDaddy account under Servers I click on Manage my Gen4 VPS Linux 3 CPU. Select the "Backups" tab. There you have two options:

a) On-Demand "Backup Now"

b) Automatic (Every 7 days)

To answer your question using both of these options will result in a 8-9 minutes of my web-server to be down. You can see that by clicking on "view" uptime monitoring under the "dashboard" tab. 

Highlighted
    Super User I
    Super User I

@tswidler, I'm curious, did you check-out/follow the GoDaddy article for Gen4 VPS backups, to make sure your doing a proper snapshot of your VPS? 

Very Respectfully,

Drew Davis

Highlighted

Drew, obviously I don't stop the server when I complain about the fact that the server is offline for 8-9 minutes during manual or automatic backup.

Highlighted
    Super User I
    Super User I

I know @tswidler which is why your snapshot is giving you downtime, cause your snapshot does have to copy other components of your VPS, so you can easily bring your VPS backup like a bare-metal restore. 

Very Respectfully,

Drew Davis

Highlighted

Hi Drew, that notion is exactly what I contest. No modern server farm needs to interrupt services while backing up. Again as I pointed out the previous (3rd) generation server which I had prior to upgrading did not have downtime during backups/snapshots. So it is a point of principal. backup/snapshots can be done without downtime and they should be done that way. Shared VFS are never a blank slate. Best Thomas

Highlighted
    Super User I
    Super User I

Hi Thomas, When you're creating an image snapshot I've always seen a small blip on the VPS cause some service/component do need to release at some point. Now a cPanel back of just your cPanel instance, i agree, you shouldn't see one for that cPanel service on your VPS, cause I've never seen that happen on the 10 VPS's that I own. I've always noticed when doing a snapshot while being online still. But if your only concern about your cPanel instance on your VPS, just back that only then. Why do a complete VPS snapshot if you're just wanting to do cPanel. Backups are sometimes just like updates. When do servers need to reboot to complete, specially darn Windows servers? At least Linux servers pretty much have that technique master. But I guess its just preference, we these days want everything instant and 100% uptime with no issue and rely on the code to be perfect every time when run without issue.

Very Respectfully,

Drew Davis

Highlighted
    Solution

@tswidler - thank you for your feedback and expressing your frustration and concern.  Our current snapshot implementation requires that VM's take a small amount of downtime.  The amount of downtime is directly related to the amount of disk you are consuming...  larger disk consumption equals more downtime.

We are looking into changing this, so as to avoid any server downtime, but it's not an immediate fix.  We do have a couple of options that you might find useful in the mean time:  #1 - you can "reschedule" these snapshots to occur during a time window that is more convenient for you, when perhaps the backup outage is acceptable or #2 - you can disable (we call it "pause") these snapshot backups from occurring.  Both of these options can be done from your server dashboard UI.  Keep in mind that taking the #2 option will limit the restore options available to yourself and to GoDaddy in the event of a hardware failure...  so I only recommend this if you have another method of backing up your server.

There is a 3rd option as @davisdre317 has mentioned:  you can configure cPanel yourself to perform backups to a remote/local destination of your choosing.

Let me know if I can answer more questions and again, thank you for the feedback!

View solution in original post