cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
ogrepie
Novice

Domain forwarding path being lost?

I have setup my domain to forward to an IP address (forwarding only, permanent) in Domain Manager on GoDaddy.

When I enter the domain in a browser it correctly forwards it to the IP. But if I add a path to the domain, it does not forward to the path. I've waited a few days for DNS to update.

So exampletest.com correctly forwards to 192.168.1.72

But exampletest.com/thislink does not forward to 192.168.1.72/thislink

As a test, I forwarded a domain that I purchased from another provider, and it works.

52 REPLIES
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Domain path being lost?

Hi @ogrepie. Welcome to GoDaddy Community! Our forwarding service does not work with URL paths, unfortunately. If you want to redirect and match a path, you would need to point the domain to a hosting plan and then do a 301 or 302 redirect there. Perhaps the IP you're forwarding to can be instead set up to host your domain, so you do not need to do the forward. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Moderator | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
ihcsasac
Experienced

@JesseW wrote:

Our forwarding service does not work with URL paths. 

Some official clarification seems required.

Here you say the godaddy subdomain forwarding service does not preserve paths.

However, until recently, it used to preserve paths just fine. So if mysub.mydom.com was forwarded to example.com, then automatically without any further intervention, mysub.mydom.com/somepath/somemore would forward to example.com/somepath/somemore just fine.

Then something went broken, now mysub.mydom.com/somepath/somemore surprisingly goes to a godaddy URL shortening page.

I chatted with godaddy support and the broken paths with subdomain forwarding were mentioned as "known bug" but developers did not commit to a timeline for a fix.

So, could you please clarify whether path preservation will be fixed as a feature of subdomain forwarding OR the feature has been intentionally withdrawn and won't be reintroduced?

Just need to know whether to wait for the fix or to start manually correcting a large set of links...

Thanks.

ogrepie
Novice

Yes, path forwarding previously work for me too. This is a recent issue.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @ihcsasac@ogrepie - Yes, this did work previously. We changed the service at the end of June to increase stability and performance as well as address other internal issues. Domain forwarding now uses the same backend that our URL shortener service uses. Unfortunately, due to this, the path match no longer works for any forwarding. There aren't currently plans to add the feature back, but that could change in the future. For the moment, I would suggest looking at other options if you need the path matching to work. Sorry Man Sad

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Moderator | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
ihcsasac
Experienced
Solution

@JesseW wrote:

For the moment, I would suggest looking at other options if you need the path matching to work.  

Thanks for the honest answer. 

I found a quick workaround bouncing the domains onto a web server that lets me fiddle with the .htaccess file and rewrite rules...

tomhunt
Novice

I've been wrestling with this one too.

Appreciate the suggestion of "looking at other options."

Could you explain what those options might be???

Thanks.

tomhunt
Novice

Is there some way to prevent that URL Shortener page from popping up?

At this point, the redirect of an old domain (with no path) works in calling up the main page of the new domain, but any combination of path with old domain brings up the URL Shortener page (an extremely odd and unhelpful thing for visitors who may be following an old link).

Is there any way that oldwebsite.com/anypath.html could have its path ignored so visitors would at least find their way to newwebsite.com ?

Does the URL Shortener page pop up due to some sort of error handling that can be customized to call up the main newwebsite.com page?

Thanks.

ihcsasac
Experienced
Solution

@tomhunt wrote:

Appreciate the suggestion of "looking at other options."

Could you explain what those options might be???

I solved the problem pointing the URL to a different website, where I have an hosting account that allows me to control the behavior of my virtual instance of the webserver using .htaccess configuration files.

I only applies to you if you have such alternative hosting account; the setup requires some technical knowledge, but all you need to ready is at http://www.htaccess-guide.com/

jamithan
Novice

Was there ever an answer to this??

Is there any way that oldwebsite.com/anypath.html could have its path ignored so visitors would at least find their way to newwebsite.com ?

Does the URL Shortener page pop up due to some sort of error handling that can be customized to call up the main newwebsite.com page?

We don't really care if the paths are mapped, but it would be really helpful if it could at least send the visitors to the homepage of the new website.  

jgraves09
Novice

We really need this to work again. Any updates?

ccostan
Novice

Yeah .. This REALLY sucks.  This can kill off thousands of backlinks that were built up over the years. 

evilsizor
Novice

Re: Domain forwarding path being lost?

I am appalled that GoDaddy could effectively break all the links that we have for this domain by altering their service so that the full path is not passed along.  I chatted with one tech, and talked with another and the first did not understand, the second acted like nothing had changed regarding this behavior.  

If GoDaddy had communicated with customers like me, who are using the Domain Forwarding, ahead of time and provided recommended alternatives that would have been disappointing but reasonable.  But to change the behavior arbitrarily without communicating to those depending upon it shows disregard for their customers.

By using a redirect inspector, following is what is happening to my URL, and this illustrates where the full path is being dropped.

http://lhlfound.com/giving 
http://lhlfound.com/RbUYZ/giving 
http://lhlfound.com/giving 
https://www.lindahalllibraryfoundation.org/ 

ThorLeach
Novice

The .htaccess changes didn't work for me, but I'm not a sysadmin and am not wise in the ways of Apache. However, I was able to find an alternative workaround.

I changed our old domain's forwarding from our new domain to the www subdomain of the old domain and then set the CNAME of the www subdomain to point to the new domain. The only drawback is that the links, which now work, display the old domain name instead of the new domain.

evilsizor
Novice

ThorLeach I ended up turning off domain forwarding in GoDaddy and just entering a DNS A record pointing to our server.  Then in the Apache config file on our server, httpd.conf, I added a ServerAlias directive so that Apache would know which website a request for this domain should go to.

Now the full URL is passed along.

ThorLeach
Novice

evilsizor,

Thanks!

That sounds like a better solution than mine, unfortunately I don't have easy access to to the httpd.conf file and even if I did, I wouldn't know how to add a ServerAlias directive... That being said, if time and resources allow (or if the boss demands it), I'll be getting in touch with our server/hosting/magento guys and passing your solution along to them.

-Thor

Seconded: this worked until just a few months ago, as literally every subdomain service since Geocities has done. To just silently break all links for the sake of "stability" is absurd, and deeply disappointing.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Everyone. I just wanted to update here to let you all know that our developers are working on adding this functionality back to the forwarding service. I don't have an exact timeframe I can give as to when that will be released, but it is definitely on the roadmap. Hopefully, it won't be too far in the future. If I find out more, I will definitely update here. 

Kingdju
Skilled

Hi JesseW,

We're migrating to a new domain and path forwarding is very important for us. We can't afford to lose our backlinks and default all traffic to the domain root.

Google Domains allows path forwarding (https://support.google.com/domains/answer/4522141), but I'd prefer not going through the hassle of migrating to a new registrar.

I know you don't have an exact timeline, but are we talking days, weeks or months? Should we look into other solutions or GoDaddy is expecting to address this issue soon?

Thank you very much!

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Kingdju. Development timeframes can be tricky. I don't think it will be as soon as "days". More likely "weeks". I would be surprised if it was "months" though. Hope that helps. 

Vanyaxx
Novice

We are really unhappy that this change was made with no notification.  I'm glad that is being reinstated but if it doesn't happen fairly quickly we will be moving all of our domains elsewhere.

jbmm
Novice

Thanks for the rough estimate on reinstating this feature. This change was a huge blow to our operations and caused a ton of confusion and GoDaddy chat support had NO CLUE about anything you mentioned. I felt like I was going crazy..."wait, did it ever work?" I felt gas-lighted. Oddly, some of my domains work with the path forwarding, but most do not. Getting this feature reinstated is critical to our continuing to register/renew the 200+ domains we have in our account with GoDaddy. Our status as a GoDaddy customer is 100% dependent on the re-implementation of this feature.

Kingdju
Skilled

@jbmm wrote:

Thanks for the rough estimate on reinstating this feature. This change was a huge blow to our operations and caused a ton of confusion and GoDaddy chat support had NO CLUE about anything you mentioned. I felt like I was going crazy..."wait, did it ever work?" I felt gas-lighted. Oddly, some of my domains work with the path forwarding, but most do not. Getting this feature reinstated is critical to our continuing to register/renew the 200+ domains we have in our account with GoDaddy. Our status as a GoDaddy customer is 100% dependent on the re-implementation of this feature.

100% agreed. Especially when other renown registrars offer the feature for free...

tbrooksweb
Novice

I just got off the phone with GoDaddy regarding subpage/paths no longer forwarding along with the forwarding domains, and I was told they will NOT be re-implementing this feature. :-(

Supposedly GoDaddy alerts customers when changes like these are made, but I never received an email about this change, and neither did my clients, many of whom have domain names and subpage URL's on their business cards, trucks, etc. that now NO LONGER WORK!!! Not to mention all the backlinks that are out there that no longer work either. This is a catastrophe! What good is a forwarded domain if it can only forward to the root directory??

I'd like to know if this is just a GoDaddy issue, or if other domain registrars have made the same changes. I've been with GoDaddy for many years, and have provided thousands and thousands of dollars of revenue to GoDaddy through the reseller service, but this is a big enough disaster that I am going to start looking for another domain registrar. Unfortunately GoDaddy seems to be the best as far as the reseller service, but if it weren't for that, I would have left a long time ago due to all the changes, bugs and glitches, which seem to be getting progressively worse.

tbrooksweb
Novice

I just called GoDaddy and was told that this feature will NOT be coming back. But you're saying it will. Which is correct? I really need to know before I start looking for a new domain registrar.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @tbrooksweb - Sorry for any confusion. Our domain development team is actively working on bringing this feature back. I'm not sure why you were told otherwise. This is only specific to our domain forwarding service. It's not related to domain name registration, so it wouldn't affect other providers or services. Neither would it affect any other type of redirect. Hope that helps. 

Kingdju
Skilled

Hi JesseW,

I'm worried about the conflicting information.

Do you have an update on the timeline of your domain development team?

We're currently in between domain switching and the situation is growing more urgent every day.

Finally, is there a reason why this post is marked as "Solved"?

I can't believe that the official solution is to bounce traffic off a server that lets you "fiddle with the .htaccess file and rewrite rules..."

Thank you for your reply.

Community Manager
Community Manager

@Kingdju - I don't have any new information, just what I shared above. Sorry Man Sad 

As for the solution being marked as solved, that is because the original poster resolved their issue in the way indicated on the solution post. I've just been updating here since there are a lot of subscribers to the thread. 

JeremyABoyd
Apprentice

@Kingdju wrote:

Hi JesseW,

We're migrating to a new domain and path forwarding is very important for us. We can't afford to lose our backlinks and default all traffic to the domain root.

Google Domains allows path forwarding (https://support.google.com/domains/answer/4522141), but I'd prefer not going through the hassle of migrating to a new registrar.

I know you don't have an exact timeline, but are we talking days, weeks or months? Should we look into other solutions or GoDaddy is expecting to address this issue soon?

Thank you very much!

With NavHere, you can keep your Godaddy as your registrar, and just update a couple of DNS records used verify ownership and point your domain to the redirection service.

KM7
Novice

I started to see this problem a few days ago; some links work and others don't.....

Can I hope it will be all resolved soon (a matter of days)?

ghanson
Skilled

I'm watching this thread, too. I have several GoDaddy domains forwarding to a single GoDaddy domain which is then forwarded to my web hosting service (company servers, no admin capability on my part). The weird thing is the forwarding works for all of the domains except the "master forwarder" which breaks. Example:

myDomain1.com forwards to myDomainForwarder.com 

myDomain2.com forwards to myDomainForwarder.com

myDomainForwarder.com forwards to companyDomain.com/firstName.lastName/

myDomain1 and myDomain2 successfully resolve to companyDomain.com/firstName.lastName, however, myDomainForwarder.com fails.

Any ideas or am I just another of the walking wounded with this issue?

ghanson
Skilled

My issue solved.

A user here suggested I clear my browser cache. With all of the phone/chat support and then jumping onto the Community board it never entered my mind to clear the **** cache!

<face turning red>

Of course, it worked. Occam's razor cuts again!

(Thanks, J. You saved my sanity.)

I am facing this same issue, though for some reason it didn't start breaking for us until last Friday at 6pm.  To make matters worse, our account says changes were made Friday at 6pm.  No one has logged in for weeks.

Many of our links that we've used in marketing and SMS no longer work, and now it seems that we don't have any way of fixing it.  I've called support, and similarly they deny that this ever worked.  I know for a fact that this has previously worked, because our tiny_url module was code-dependent on the path carrying over (it even did a `slice` to remove the `/` from the path after the forward, since it was transformed into a parameter on our end).

My current theory: GoDaddy wants us all to switch to hosting, because that's where the money is.  So they've removed one of the big functions of Domain Forwarding, claim it was for "efficiency", and act very surprised when we're all upset by it.  Support will even claim that it was always this way, so that we feel like it must have been a mistake we made instead.  Just a theory.

In any case, it's 2am and it took me 12 hours to learn that this was the result of a GoDaddy change, and not a code-change on our part.  In the morning I'll need to tell my boss why the links that that stopped working last Friday simply cannot be fixed.  Honestly, this would have been MUCH easier if GoDaddy just admitted that they removed functionality that would obviously affect many of their customers, for whatever the actual reason.

We'll probably end up moving the domain name to another provider, if only to get the legacy links to work again.  That's probably more crucial to us than anything.

KM7
Novice

I tried 'clear cache', but it doesn't solve my problem......

So, godaddy is going to leave it like this or working to resolve the issue.

Any upadate, JesseW - GoDaddy? You wrote "Hi Everyone. I just wanted to update here to let you all know that our developers are working on adding this functionality back to the forwarding service."

1112-8999
Novice

I have the same issue! However, I am not using apache or ngix, so no way to work around.

I can only visit  my homepage, no other pages can be visited.

WSETechGuy
Novice

I'm appalled that GoDaddy removed this feature without notice.  This has caused a huge problem for my client.  Now they are wanting me to abandon GoDaddy and move our websites to a new provider.  Gee thanks guys. 

BigTony
Novice

I have the same situation. I've been using godaddy for many years and using subdomain forwarding for a long time especially in marketing campaign, publishing, qr code. Now all qr codes are broken link.

I have VERY VERY VERY disappointed with godaddy. my customers email, chat to my company to blame broken services.

I just to all customers try to fix soon. but I cannot promise when. just wait for answer from godaddy bring back subpath forwarding soon.

Really SAD

BigTony
Novice

I have the same situation. I've been using godaddy for many years and using subdomain forwarding (with path) for a long time especially in marketing campaign, publishing, qr code. Now all qr codes are broken link.

I have VERY VERY VERY disappointed with godaddy. my customers email, chat to my company to blame broken services.

I just to all customers try to fix soon. but I cannot promise when. just wait for answer from godaddy bring back subpath forwarding soon.

Really SAD

MSK
Novice

Thank you for at least thinking about putting this feature back. We have a really nice, fairly short URL that we use to give out - often with specific pages short.org/page and have been using this forwarding feature for a while. I'm glad I finally looked at this forum to figure out what the problem was. I was thinking it was on our other domain server... I hope you bring the feature back soon.

Kingdju
Skilled

@JesseW This is the second time your information is conflicting with the information given by phone support... starting to suspect this is going to takes months to come back — if it ever does.

I'm going to switch registrar unless there is an update before the end of the month.

ravishukla
Novice

Adding my voice to this issue. I'll probably have to redirect my account to another provider.

KM7
Novice

I cleared cache once again in Chrome and Safari, and it seems working now although I cannot check all links (too many). 

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello everyone. Very happy to report that this issue should now be resolved! A fix was pushed out last week. Sorry for the delay in getting an update here. 

WSETechGuy
Novice

Jesse, this is excellent news! Thanks for the update.

Kingdju
Skilled

Thank you @JesseW for following up. How do we go about activating the path forwarding function?

Can I just 301 redirect a domain to another to take advantage of the feature?

ihcsasac
Experienced

@JesseW wrote:

Hello everyone. Very happy to report that this issue should now be resolved! A fix was pushed out last week. Sorry for the delay in getting an update here. 

Do you expect the fix to be available already to all domains?

I just tried creating a new forwarding subdomain and still it does not preserve paths...

Community Manager
Community Manager

@Kingdju - Just adding domain forwarding to the domain should be enough as long as you haven't added entries for the domain on shortener.godaddy.com. 

@ihcsasac - As far as I know, since the fix was pushed out to the system that controls the forwarding, it should be in place for all domains. I added a forwarded subdomain and tested it and it seemed to work fine. Keep in mind that adding a forwarded subdomain will require the system to add a DNS record, which can increase the wait time for the forward to be active. 

ihcsasac
Experienced

@JesseW wrote:

@ihcsasac - As far as I know, since the fix was pushed out to the system that controls the forwarding, it should be in place for all domains. I added a forwarded subdomain and tested it and it seemed to work fine. Keep in mind that adding a forwarded subdomain will require the system to add a DNS record, which can increase the wait time for the forward to be active.  

I understand, however the subdomain works... http://wiki.casaschi.net forwards to https://sourceforge.net/p/pgn4web/wiki/ (then from there automatically to https://sourceforge.net/p/pgn4web/wiki/Index) however http://wiki.casaschi.net/SandBox/ does NOT keep the /SandBox/ path at the end when forwarding.

Community Manager
Community Manager

@ihcsasac - Thanks for clarifying. It looks like the path forwarding will only work if it's simple domain to domain forwarding. For example, domain1.com is forwarded to domain2.com. If you enter domain1.com/path, the system will now take you to domain2.com/path. However, if domain1.com is forwarded to domain2.com/path-2, the path isn't passed on. Sorry Man Sad

ihcsasac
Experienced

@JesseW wrote:

@ihcsasac - Thanks for clarifying. It looks like the path forwarding will only work if it's simple domain to domain forwarding. For example, domain1.com is forwarded to domain2.com. If you enter domain1.com/path, the system will now take you to domain2.com/path. However, if domain1.com is forwarded to domain2.com/path-2, the path isn't passed on. Sorry Man Sad

Seriously?!?!?

It used to work just fine, then godaddy broke it, then they took weeks to "fix it" but the fix only works in a very limited situation.