cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Auctions, any safeguard against collusion

I've been trying to buy a given domain for $400 from an organization for a few years now and they would never take my offer.   The domain has recently gone up for auction and i placed my bid. Yay!

I made an different offer to the same organization on another domain.   Eventually got a reply that my offer was rejected.  10 minutes later someone outbid me on the domain that i've been trying to get.   no one else had bid on it for 3 days.

just seems so suspicious that a bid pops up on this domain 10 minutes after the organization that i had been trying to buy it from rejects me on a different offer.

What kind of gaurantees does godaddy give that there is no collusion involved with driving up the prices at these auctions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Super User II Super User II
Super User II

In theory everyone operating a domain auction on GoDaddy is bound to the Auctions Membership Agreement @tommyjoebarnes. Unfortunately not every seller will operate 100% above board. Yet still there are some bidders that only want a domain that someone wants. If your bid is $100 someone might bid higher than you hoping they can win and offer it right back to you for a quick profit. They won't know your budget but even if they make a quick twenty dollars it is more than worth their effort. I do not know that there is a way to police the unscrupulous practices of people (as it is the internet). There is a recourse if you feel that you feel unfairly treated in during the auction process.

I don't know the domain you are trying to acquire or the appraisal value of it but I have found success in the past utilizing the GoDaddy Domain Broker service. Also check out the free Domain Name Value & Appraisal tool. Trust that I KNOW the frustration of trying to acquire a domain. I hope that helps?

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Super User II Super User II
Super User II

In theory everyone operating a domain auction on GoDaddy is bound to the Auctions Membership Agreement @tommyjoebarnes. Unfortunately not every seller will operate 100% above board. Yet still there are some bidders that only want a domain that someone wants. If your bid is $100 someone might bid higher than you hoping they can win and offer it right back to you for a quick profit. They won't know your budget but even if they make a quick twenty dollars it is more than worth their effort. I do not know that there is a way to police the unscrupulous practices of people (as it is the internet). There is a recourse if you feel that you feel unfairly treated in during the auction process.

I don't know the domain you are trying to acquire or the appraisal value of it but I have found success in the past utilizing the GoDaddy Domain Broker service. Also check out the free Domain Name Value & Appraisal tool. Trust that I KNOW the frustration of trying to acquire a domain. I hope that helps?

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

View solution in original post

thank you for your response @rd.  appreciate it.

yeh, i just became acutely aware of that someone may be playing me.  They know i've been after this domain for like 10years.  

They took the domain off auction this morning.  A week before it was to end.   All very suspicious.   I made a big mistake when it was on auction years ago.  The auction time was in a different time zone and didn't notice. argh!