Skip to main content
Help Center
The GoDaddy Community will undergo maintenance starting on Tuesday, August 3rd at 3pm PST / 6pm EST. Learn more
  • GoDaddy Community
  • GoDaddy Website Builders
  • GoDaddy Website Builders

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution
    Gary_H
    New

Is Using an Image of a Text Block Illegal?

I was just informed by a web site developer that it is "Illegal" to use an Image of a Text Block, rather than typing the text into the HTML doc as editable text.  In my case, this is a typical Warning that most rope hardware would have:  such as, "Not for Climbing, Not for Suspending People, or Anything Above Them...".   The web site designer mentioned that blind people also require the editable text.  So, has anyone heard of this, and where is this alleged law posted?  

And if so, what about a heading line or two that has a logo using a unique custom font that isn't available in editable text form.  Is it acceptable to use these lines of text as images?

Can alternate image text, or hidden text, be included to supplement the image?  

And lastly, what does that even mean, Illegal?  Are the Internet Police going to arrest me and throw me in Cyber Jail?

Thanx,

Gary

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
    SiteDoctor
    Helper IV

@Gary_H - no, it's not illegal. Perhaps inadvisable for search engine and accessibility reasons, but not illegal. I have no idea why the site developer told you that.

In terms of what happens for people who have impaired vision, screen reader software reads the image Alt tag, although from what I understand it's best not to exceed 125 characters excluding spaces.

Need some help with WordPress? Check out Site Doctor 911
    Worry-Free WordPress Support - So You Can Focus On The Important Stuff

View solution in original post

I agree with @SiteDoctor, it's not a great idea in terms of search and accessibility, but it's also not illegal.

Very few things in web implementation are illegal specifically for web/technical/usability reasons. They are illegal for reasons like copyright or trademark infringement, or libel or defamation. So using someone else's registered trademark on your site is illegal, but it has nothing to do with it being a website, and everything to do with it being trademark infringement.

I usually tell clients that a good test is to ask yourself this question: if you did the same thing when creating a book/magazine article/newspaper article/term paper/youtube video/CD or any other type of published material... would it be illegal there for reasons such as those mentioned above? If so, then you can assume it's illegal on a website.

5 REPLIES 5
    SiteDoctor
    Helper IV

@Gary_H - no, it's not illegal. Perhaps inadvisable for search engine and accessibility reasons, but not illegal. I have no idea why the site developer told you that.

In terms of what happens for people who have impaired vision, screen reader software reads the image Alt tag, although from what I understand it's best not to exceed 125 characters excluding spaces.

Need some help with WordPress? Check out Site Doctor 911
    Worry-Free WordPress Support - So You Can Focus On The Important Stuff

I agree with @SiteDoctor, it's not a great idea in terms of search and accessibility, but it's also not illegal.

Very few things in web implementation are illegal specifically for web/technical/usability reasons. They are illegal for reasons like copyright or trademark infringement, or libel or defamation. So using someone else's registered trademark on your site is illegal, but it has nothing to do with it being a website, and everything to do with it being trademark infringement.

I usually tell clients that a good test is to ask yourself this question: if you did the same thing when creating a book/magazine article/newspaper article/term paper/youtube video/CD or any other type of published material... would it be illegal there for reasons such as those mentioned above? If so, then you can assume it's illegal on a website.

Thank You Lisa (WedDiva)!  It's good the hear from a couple of Pro Users that, as I thought, this guy is not correct with is advise.  In addition to my reply to SiteDoctor, and while as a product developer I'm pretty well versed in basic IP Law (Copyrights, Trademarks & Patents), that's a great thing to point out as there are many out there who may not know this.  I especially like your analogy of digital media to print media.  Nicely done!

Thanx Again for your Insight!

Actually, as a matter of law, it IS illegal to tell someone something is illegal unless you have a law degree and have passed the bar exam and your license is current in the state you happen to be giving the advice.  It's the equivalent of practicing medicine without a license. So obviously you web site guy has a law degree.  :-{} 

Thank You SiteDoctor!  This guy actually said it was Illegal, not ill-advised, even insisting it's so after I expressed my doubts.  So I don't know what this guy's deal is, but he's making my WordPress site and I'm starting to regret hiring him.  He also told me I shouldn't use my Logo Image, and should replace it with similar text, which I can't find anywhere.  I'm all about Branding, and don't want to muddy up my Brand Recognition by using a Similar font on my web site.  Again, I questioned that advice and suggested using alt text, or hidden text for search engine reasons, again said no, but finally gave in.  I think he's either trying to stall me, drive up the cost, or both.

Thanx Again for the insight!