• Websites + Marketing | Website Builders
  • Websites + Marketing | Website Builders

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution

USPS Priority Mail Rates

My shipping is very often calculated too low.  If USPS priority mail is going to be available for me to include in my shop (I don't offer first class) then for each product I should be able to enter a weight and container size (fine) or select a flat rate box size!  Even if I enter the exact dimensions of a flat rate box for each item, the shipping is often under calculated.  Perhaps your database is outdated for flat rate priority mail prices or, even better, add in a drop down box on the shipping tab of the product page to select a flat rate shipping method (envelope, small box, medium box, large box).  If none is selected, assume "your choice" box, just like if you were using the USPS click and ship interface.  

Thank you!

Cheryl Avis

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
    Super User II Super User II
    Super User II

Shipping physical products and picing them correctly is an effort for all of us @Cheryl_Avis. You may want to consider marking up shipping prices to accomodate from some price fluctuation? I don't know where GoDaddy gets the shipping numbers from or how often they are refreshed but I know that is a task.

Additionally, you can make sure that you are using the same shipping method. I know that some third party applications have a markup above the posted USPS price. If you were shipping using a third party but your rates are USPS that might create an issue. Also, some of the larger companies that partner with USPS for shipping might have lower rates based on volume and pass those savings to you? I am sorry that I cant offer more than that. I hope that helps?

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

View solution in original post

Resolver I

It sounds like the calculator isn't getting the message that you want to use flat rate packages since it's getting dimensional input. A possible workaround, if your products will ship the same way each time in flat rate boxes, would be to enter the correct flat rate as the shipping fee for that item instead of using the calculator. The downside of this is that if you ship two items together, the customer would still be charged for shipping each item separately. Sorry I'm not familiar with the USPS calculator. Good luck! 

@rd, I think they're using a USPS API. I know that's how they do the UPS rates, which are usually penny-perfect. 

2 REPLIES 2
    Super User II Super User II
    Super User II

Shipping physical products and picing them correctly is an effort for all of us @Cheryl_Avis. You may want to consider marking up shipping prices to accomodate from some price fluctuation? I don't know where GoDaddy gets the shipping numbers from or how often they are refreshed but I know that is a task.

Additionally, you can make sure that you are using the same shipping method. I know that some third party applications have a markup above the posted USPS price. If you were shipping using a third party but your rates are USPS that might create an issue. Also, some of the larger companies that partner with USPS for shipping might have lower rates based on volume and pass those savings to you? I am sorry that I cant offer more than that. I hope that helps?

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

Resolver I

It sounds like the calculator isn't getting the message that you want to use flat rate packages since it's getting dimensional input. A possible workaround, if your products will ship the same way each time in flat rate boxes, would be to enter the correct flat rate as the shipping fee for that item instead of using the calculator. The downside of this is that if you ship two items together, the customer would still be charged for shipping each item separately. Sorry I'm not familiar with the USPS calculator. Good luck! 

@rd, I think they're using a USPS API. I know that's how they do the UPS rates, which are usually penny-perfect.