• GoDaddy Community
  • Websites + Marketing | Website Builders
  • Websites + Marketing | Website Builders

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    New

WARNING! If you have an existing website on website builder, changing loses everything!!!

I just found out the hard way today that when they say "upgrade to our new website builder", they mean, build your entire website from scratch. You completely lose access to the old pages you spend hours, weeks and months on. Nothing is accessible.

My only resolution (after I clicked the upgrade button) is to be forced to spend $399.99 to pay for their services to move my old website builder site (which I no longer have access to) to a new one.

It's manipulative, fraudulant and wrong. People should be warned about it.

4 REPLIES 4
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

Re: WARNING! If you have an existing website on website builder, changing loses everything!!!

Hi @mandyw,

Thanks for taking the time to voice your concern. I'm a little confused about what's happening in your situation. When you make the switch from v6 to v7, it's true that you no longer have access to your current website within the editor. However, the site should remain active online until you publish a new website. In that case, you can access the site to copy any text or images you need in recreating the site within v7. 

For others that might need help, we also have a help article that explains what your options are in making the big move. Please take a look at Options to migrate your website

Hope that helps,

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
    New

Re: WARNING! If you have an existing website on website builder, changing loses everything!!!

I had a large information filled site that I also spent a huge amount of time and Money on the SEO services offered by godaddy.

Nowhere was I warned when I clicked the upgrade now button that I would lose all my work.

In a tight spot I was forced to pay $399 to retain my existing code as it is no longer accessible. I have a busy business and do not have the time for building a website from scratch.

I seriously feel like getting a lawyer involved here.

my website is small, so i will go somewhere else.  apparently the customer service here isn't to be trusted

I understand the frustration and we appreciate you taking the time to voice your concerns. I'll be sure this is passed along as feedback to our teams to consider. We have a similar discussion that I would recommend reviewing at:

GoDaddy Is Deleting Your Website (Version 6)

CG - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
    24/7 support available at x.co/247support