• GoDaddy Community
  • Websites + Marketing | Website Builders
  • Websites + Marketing | Website Builders

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Highlighted

How to test a new version of a website with Godaddy.

I like to make some basic changes in the present website running in Godaddy.  Part of that, I like to check the live performance of the new version of the website.

My question is:

Is it possible to create a subdomain and upload the new version?

Is it possible to hide the subdomain from public and search engines and to view only by me privately?

If so what precaution I have to take and how it will create? I need it to be done without affect the main website.

An expert reply will be highly helpful to me.

samsproperties.com
    8 REPLIES 8
    Highlighted
    Advocate VI Advocate VI
    Advocate VI

Re: How to test a new version of a website with Godaddy.

The answer depends on how the site is being implemented. Your message makes it sound like you have created a local version of the new site on your own computer. If you are using Dreamweaver, you can preview the site in a browser, using the local files (File/Preview in Browser). 

If you're doing something else to manually edit HTML files, you should still be able to view the new version on your computer. Go to your file manager (whether Mac or PC) and double-click on the index.html file. It should open in your default browser. If you've used relative addressing for the links (instead of hardcoding to the entire URL), it will run locally.

If you really want it on the web, you could upload all of it into a sub-directory, and access it directly by using the subdirectory in your browser (http://samsproperties.com/testsite). From the file manager you could password-protect that directory. But I think you can test it locally doing the above.

If you're using WordPress, of course that's a different story. If it's Managed WordPress and you can copy the site to staging, you can make changes there. If it's regular ol' WordPress on a Linux hosting package, you can clone the site into a new WordPress installation in a subdirectory, but that's a bit trickier. I've certainly done it, by archiving the entire site using Backup Buddy, then restoring the site in a second directory and editing from there. But then you have to deal with either moving the site back into the root, or moving the index.php and .htaccess files to the root and editing index.php. 

Highlighted
    Helper V

As Lisa said, the answer depends on many things.

First I will say that what you are doing is the type of thing that professional programmers do. I am not saying you should not; I am saying the opposite, that it is a good thing. Big companies require their programmers to test programs using a separate test system, not the production system.

And that gets us to one possibility. You can set up a server, such as Apache, in your local system and test using that. You would need to do that if your web site uses server-side scripts, such as PHP or ASP.Net. If your site just uses HTML pages then you might be able to test directly from your local file system as Lisa said. I am not familiar with Dreamweaver, perhaps it provides a server you can test with. There are many other servers that can be used for testing/development.

Uploading the new site as a sub-domain could be a possibility but in my opinion it would be too easy to make mistakes.

Something else you could do is to purchase a domain name that you use just for testing/development purposes. You should have a local copy of the new site in your system and when something is found that needs changing, change the copy in your local system then upload the modifications to the test system. Then when you are ready to convert to (deploy) the new site, upload the new site from your local system.

Highlighted
    Advocate VII Advocate VII
    Advocate VII

Hi!

Okay, I know this is a GoDaddy forum but competitor HostGator published a good article on using an IP address and host file (on the pc) to test a domain as it would appear live.  I've used this technique many times on sites that I've setup using cPanel and its always worked well.  I have not tried it on managed WP installations.

http://support.hostgator.com/articles/specialized-help/technical/how-do-i-change-my-hosts-file

Hope this helps!

James

Not Just Pretty Sites, Pretty Doggone Smart Sites
    Highlighted
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

Hi @samsproperties

Updating your computer's hosts file (as suggested by @JMPepper) is my preferred method of previewing a site if I don't want to change it's DNS. We also have a guide on this here:

https://www.godaddy.com/help/preview-your-website-using-host-files-3354

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
    Highlighted

Hi everyone,

I am trying to do the same, setup a test site in a subdomain.  The only reason I am doing this is to test out the qTranslate-x plugin.  Once I implement it, I can't go back.  I also see two WordPress installation on the root directory. I'm not sure why.  Is one meant as a backup?  They are referencing difference databases.  I just did a backup of both databases after using the site for 3 years.  I'm not too familiar with the migration process so any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Highlighted
    Helper V

@VINSTONUS, your situation seems different from the initial question here. You will benefit from creating a new discussion. I am not a moderator but I hope you don't mind my suggestion.

Highlighted

Hi @SamHobbs,

Thank you for the reply and information.

My website is in PHP.

Your proposal is the preferred one and now I am looking to how to setup a server in my PC.

I tried to create a subdomain as per the instruction of a Godaddy agent. At last my website vanished. The agent tactically said that he can recover it within 72 hours. I got the same idea what he was in his mind. I done it fastly - the restoring the site. After two hours i got the site back. 

Now I am very cautious and  accepting your proposal.

@SamHobbs wrote:

As Lisa said, the answer depends on many things.

First I will say that what you are doing is the type of thing that professional programmers do. I am not saying you should not; I am saying the opposite, that it is a good thing. Big companies require their programmers to test programs using a separate test system, not the production system.

And that gets us to one possibility. You can set up a server, such as Apache, in your local system and test using that. You would need to do that if your web site uses server-side scripts, such as PHP or ASP.Net. If your site just uses HTML pages then you might be able to test directly from your local file system as Lisa said. I am not familiar with Dreamweaver, perhaps it provides a server you can test with. There are many other servers that can be used for testing/development.

Uploading the new site as a sub-domain could be a possibility but in my opinion it would be too easy to make mistakes.

Something else you could do is to purchase a domain name that you use just for testing/development purposes. You should have a local copy of the new site in your system and when something is found that needs changing, change the copy in your local system then upload the modifications to the test system. Then when you are ready to convert to (deploy) the new site, upload the new site from your local system.

samsproperties.com
    Highlighted

Thank you JesseW

@JesseW wrote:

Hi @samsproperties

Updating your computer's hosts file (as suggested by @JMPepper) is my preferred method of previewing a site if I don't want to change it's DNS. We also have a guide on this here:

https://www.godaddy.com/help/preview-your-website-using-host-files-3354

samsproperties.com