cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
New

www domain not working when forwarding

I'm having a weird issue that I'm hoping to get help with. I have a few domains set up to be forwarded to another website. When you enter the naked URL (without www) it forwards it without a problem for all of them. But when you add www, it can't find the page for some of them. In the domains that work with and without the www, I went to

DNA settings --> forwarding domain --> add domain www.YYY.com,

then

add subdomain --> www -- > forward it to the same URL as provided in forwarding domain - www.YYY.COM 

ei 2.png

I have included photo for reference. And that works for www and non www domains but not all of them. Which is unusual...I haven't changed anything else. All websites that I'm trying to forward to come from the same source. 

I looked up another way on youtube to try to activate the www domain and tried that but also with no luck. I have included a photo of that attempt at well. 

ei 1.pngAny help or suggestions will be appreciated. 

8 REPLIES 8
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: www domain not working when forwarding

Hi @Pixie0. Welcome to GoDaddy Community! The problem you're having might be due to how WWW is usually set up for domains. By default, domains have a WWW CNAME that points back to the domain itself. For example, if you forward abc.com to xyz.com, www.abc.com would still forward, regardless of whether or not you set up a forward for it specifically. It's usually not necessary to forward WWW unless you want to point it to a separate website. If that is the case, then I'd suggest double checking to see where your WWW record is pointing. If you are forwarding it to a separate address, you should see an A record for WWW that points to 184.168.131.241. If you're not forwarding WWW separately, then you should see a CNAME record for it that points to "@" instead. Hope that helps. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
New

Thank you for your reply! I do want the www domain and the non-www domain to forward to the same website. 

I'm new to this so I just have some follow up questions. 

You mentioned that domains automatically point back www domains back to the naked domain but I haven't found that to be the case for me. None of my www.XXX.com websites work when I use the forwarding option.... only the naked URL, XXX.com. Only in the few that I tried setting up with www subdomain that it worked, but not for all. I'm confused. So I guess I'm missing the correct CNAME record. Could you advise the proper values? 

Type: CNAME

Host: www

points to: @

TTL: 1 H

Is that correct? 

thx

Community Manager
Community Manager

@Pixie0 - There are a lot of different issues that could be occurring. If you can share the domain and the URL you want to forward to, that would be the best place to start. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
New

Community Manager
Community Manager

@Pixie0 

For harveykalleswest.com, it looks like you're using the nameservers for another provider. If you want to use GoDaddy's forwarding services, try parking the domain and then making sure you have the forwarding settings you want. 

For highparkproperties.com, I'm getting forwarded to the appropriate site, so you must have fixed it Man Happy Hope that helps. 

New

oops, sorry about one of the links. Fixed that one already. 

as for highparkproperties.com I did add the CNAME properties that I mentioned in my previous post... perhaps that's why?  

I have 2 more that the www doesn't work for and I only changed the forwarding details on there. Which work fine without the www. 

https://www.junctionvillage.com/ -> http://265evelyn.webflow.io/
https://www.sunnyleavillage.com/ -> http://68thompson.webflow.io/

Should I add the CNAME values on the DNS settings? 

Community Manager
Community Manager
Solution

@Pixie0 - It looks like neither of those domains have a WWW record (at least externally). You should just be able to add a CNAME for both of them for WWW that points to @. If you've already added a record, then it may just be a matter of time for the DNS change to spread across the internet. Usually, it's just a matter of a few hours. 

My fwd domain isnt working when I click my website it says this site can't be reached please fix it should go to this website https://gaz-workshop8.com/everg/?a=1660288930