cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Are domain estimators trustworthy? One says $1000, another says under $100. Help!

Looking for a very straightforward answer as to the estimator valuation of my trade name which is perfect for any organization that aims to help students, whether non-profit school/college organizations or some other private institution. What's your thoughts on the values of the estimators (as a rule) being off from reality. If estimates are what resellers might pay, that is like used car trade-in Actual Cash Value prices, verses what it would sell for to a retail buyer. Thanks for your feedback. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Super User II

@dougfromdenver 

Domain estimators are good at measuring potential asking prices. Regardless of what they tell you, the only inherent value your domain has is whether (a) anyone wants it, and (b) if it provides a value for them to purchase it.

Domain sales are kind of like working in the stock market. Add value to your product, just like any other service. It's not fire and forget easy money. It's a lot of work.

Smart money is to put landing pages on each domain you want to sale and make sure the site has a XML map and gets listed by Google. That way when they land on the domain name that someone else owns, they see an ad telling them it's for sale, how much, and a pitch on why it's a great name.

You could even provide data on how much traffic just comes to the domain to show its value.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
* Please note that I DO NOT answer private messages. Please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. If you contact me via PM for help, I will give you a price quote for my personal services. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Super User II

@dougfromdenver 

Domain estimators are good at measuring potential asking prices. Regardless of what they tell you, the only inherent value your domain has is whether (a) anyone wants it, and (b) if it provides a value for them to purchase it.

Domain sales are kind of like working in the stock market. Add value to your product, just like any other service. It's not fire and forget easy money. It's a lot of work.

Smart money is to put landing pages on each domain you want to sale and make sure the site has a XML map and gets listed by Google. That way when they land on the domain name that someone else owns, they see an ad telling them it's for sale, how much, and a pitch on why it's a great name.

You could even provide data on how much traffic just comes to the domain to show its value.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
* Please note that I DO NOT answer private messages. Please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. If you contact me via PM for help, I will give you a price quote for my personal services. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post