This article was originally published on March 26, 2020, and was updated on April 1, 2020.
In the wake of COVID-19, everyone is looking for ways to support their businesses and their communities.
If your business is a traditional brick-and-mortar setup, enabling online payments on your Websites + Marketing or WordPress site can be a viable option to keep business moving — and it’s social-distancing friendly.
It’s also a great way to accept donations, either for yourself or to support a group or person that needs help during the COVID-19 crisis.
Accept donations and payments on your website
Accepting payments online may be traditionally used for selling products. But here are some alternative ways to serve your customers and community.
- Restaurants. Haven’t set up online ordering? Your customers can call in their order and make their payment using a PayPal button or payment plugin. Then they can pick up the order without exchanging money or credit cards to maintain social distancing.
- Local churches. Many churches are moving their services online to avoid large gatherings of people. Set up a PayPal button or donation plugin to accept donations on your website. You can set specific donation amounts, or leave it up to your community members.
- Personal services. Offer a video demonstration or online class for something you would usually do in person. Then use a PayPal button or payment plugin as a way for your customers to pay, or set up an “online tip jar” where people can contribute if they liked your video.
- Grocery or food delivery. Pick up groceries or food for people who can’t get out. Add a PayPal button or payment plugin to your site to accept payments.
- School lunches. Raise money for kids whose schools are closed and no longer have access to meals.
- Online tip jar. Give your customers a place to support you through donations and tips.
The technical details
In Websites + Marketing, adding a PayPal button is a safe and secure way to transfer funds from your customers and site visitors to an account you specify. On your WordPress site, you can use different plugins to accept payments through your site. But, there are a few things to keep in mind before you get started.
Websites + Marketing plans
A PayPal button can be a quick and easy way for you to accept payments on your website.
- You can have up to 15 PayPal buttons per site.The button is ideal for highlighting your highest priority product or services.
- If you’re selling a product, you need to enter a specific price.
- Donations can be set amounts that you designate, or you can leave the amount up to the donor.
You’ll need to add a plugin to your site to enable a way to accept payments.
- To find plugins, in your WordPress Dashboard, select Plugins.
- Search for “donation”, “payment”, or “paypal”. Some common donation plugins are PayPal Donation and GiveWP.
- Once you pick a plugin, you’ll need to install it.
Some plugins require the free WooCommerce plugin. The top 5 payment extensions for WooCommerce are:
Take care of yourself and your community
We want to help our loved ones and those in our community – but we also need to take care of ourselves. The PayPal button or a payment plugin are great options for both small business owners and community members to help with payments and donations. Stay safe and watch out for those around you. We’re in this together!
You can do this!
If you need a helping hand, we’re here for you.
- Check out our How-To videos for content aimed at helping you navigate through COVID-19.
- Looking for stories and inspiration? Visit the GoDaddy YouTube channel.
- Dig into resources on the GoDaddy blog.
- Connect with like-minded people in our #OpenWeStand community forum.
- Find answers to product questions in our Help Center.
- Call or chat with one of our GoDaddy Guides.
Above all, have faith in yourself. We have faith in you.